Saturday 15 August 2009

My first (proper) week...

Well this week was my first full week in the office and I really couldn't wait to get started (ask the rest of the team who bantered me about my early starts)

It's been a pretty hectic week - but even more productive than I could have hoped for. In between my ever increasing to-do lists (I have a sexy to do list pad) I have had a lot of planning meetings with some real exciting stuff in the pipeline for the year ahead, not everything is set in stone yet so I can't talk about all of it but here is what I have planned so far;


• The National Blood Service is back! On Friday 25th September (Welcome Week) they will be back at the Guild with the chance for students to donate blood should they chose to do so. It was one of my manifesto aims to get them back in the Guild and I am really happy to have them there from the start of the year. I aim to make this a regular thing so watch this space.

• I will be lobbying the University in light of recent recommendations from the QAA (Quality Assurance Agency) to make the mitigations process simpler and easier for every student to use as well as looking at academic support for joint honours students.


• A full review of prayer facilities across campus is already happening with plans to get all facilities advertised on the University map and lobby for more space on campus

• This year I will also be organising our World Aids day activities, SHAG (sexual health awareness and guidance) week and taking the lead on our multi-cultural celebrations…more details to follow soon.

• Working with student parents to overcome problems they face at the University and making the Guild more inclusive of their needs.

In addition to working on these plans I have also been a busy boy working on staff recruitment. As the Vice President Welfare I am involved in recruiting any staff for departments that are relevant to my remit so that includes the Jobzone, the Arc and the Mentors. Keep your eyes open for some new faces around the Guild!

I could go on but I think this blog is long enough - so for now, don’t forget to protect your Welfare with a Johnny!

No comments:

Post a Comment