Sunday 23 August 2009

Interviews and Appeals

Well my new suit had a thorough airing this week; with both interviews and appeals taking up a lot of my time. As mentioned last week there are a number of staff postions that are being recruited for at the moment and I am on the interview panel for several of them. It was an interesting experience to be sat on the other side for a change and it gave me a lot of food for thought on what it is that employers are looking for and how we can make our students more 'employable'. There are two job fairs coming up in the first few weeks of term as well as the Jobzone doing CV clinics and interview techniques. I would strongly recommend these services to all students especially those about to start applying for graduate jobs.

In addition it was the second round of appeals this week and I was kept busy along with the other Sabbs helping those students going through this difficult process. The appeals hearings can be a daunting experience for many students especially when they have to present their case in front of a panel but our job is to offer them support and try and make them feel more comfortable as well as to help them put their points across and ensure that the hearing is conducted properly.It really is one of the most rewarding parts of the job attending an appeal with a student who is after some extra support and after all our training it is nice to put what we have learnt into practice. I would like to wish all students who are having to go through this process at the moment good luck.

In other news I also had to have my official pictures for the year taken. Apologies to all freshers who will be greeted with my mug shot!

I have also been busy preparing for welcome week with plans in the pipeline to host some kind of wellbeing event along with Katie (VPS) and we had our first meeting for the democratic structure review that is going to take place this year looking at all our democratic structures and how they work ranging from Guild Council to the Officer team. It is going to be a lot of work but should make some real positive change to the Guild as well.
Finally, I have been working on my plans for 'Know your Guild', can't say much more yet but it is going to be big, so watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Johnny,

    Your blogs are always read avidly by all of us at Unofficial Guild.

    Can you please divulge any further information about the plans for 'Know Your Guild'?

    Also, is it true that some of the interviews conducted in recent days did not always have a Sabb on the panel?

    Keep up the hard work.

    Unofficial Guild

    unofficialguild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny Davis - VP Welfare25 August 2009 at 01:43

    I am glad you are enjoying the blogs and I hope you keep reading them.

    Plans for Know your Guild aren't finalised yet but once they are I can assure you that my blog readers will be amongst the first to know.

    With regards to Interviews, as far as I am aware there were only two sets of interviews this week and I sat on the interview panel for every candidate on both.

    Hope this helps.
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete